In December of 2018, we saw the most job openings since the government started keeping track in 2000! The Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) reported that there were 7.3 million job openings, among other insightful data. To quickly summarize, in addition to the 7.3 million job openings, we saw 5.9 million people get hired. In addition, 5.5 million total people left their jobs, with 3.5 million of those people voluntarily quitting.
Additionally, 1.7 million people left their jobs as a result of layoffs or other involuntary measures, while 366,000 left their careers for retirement.
Notice the high rate at which people are voluntarily leaving their jobs. People are becoming more confident in their career possibilities and quickly taking advantage of it. Whether you are actively searching for a new opportunity or not – good, skilled workers are in high demand.
Learn more about the simple ways you can further your career opportunities from some of our articles listed below.
Resources to help boost your job search
- Your Best Friend in a Job Search is Your Recruiter
- 5 Tips for Those of You Passively Looking for a New Jobs
- A Better Job is Out There. The Trick is Finding It!
- Here’s What Recruiters Look for in a Candidate’s LinkedIn Profile
- Why Passive Candidates are Catching the Eye of Employers
- How to Quit Your Job in 2019
- Get More Out of LinkedIn