When you’re in the business of recruiting like we are, you get to know your way around a resume. We’ve seen it all… the good, the bad, and the boring. Ultimately, it’s is your personal marketing tool and it’s how you promote yourself before meeting with a prospective employer. (Read: it’s important!) We wanted to share some resume basics with you, no matter which industry you’re in, which position you’re applying for, or which level you’re at.
- Tailor your resume to each job you apply to.
- Choose a simple, yet eye-catching layout. (We love these free ones from Microsoft Office!)
- Keep it interesting, short, and easy to read by using bullet points.
- Use action oriented words to describe your achievements. (Here’s a list of 185 – so no excuses.)
- Leave out the fluff – don’t waste valuable space!
- Keep your resume under a page, unless you have a long career directly related to the position you’re applying for.
- Include lots of relevant keywords. (These are some great tips for finding keywords specific to your job)
- Be bold with your accomplishments, this is your chance to shine!
- Put yourself in the hiring manager’s shoes, would you be impressed by this resume, let alone want to read it?
- Have a friend or family member review your resume. They might catch something you didn’t.
This is not an exhaustive list. For the best results, get your resume in front of a professional (like us!) Contact a JSG recruiter to kick off your career journey.
Have you already turned in a stellar resume and landed an interview? Check out our tip for preparing for an interview, answering typical questions, and what questions you can ask to ensure a successful hire!