Why Your Job Search Isn’t Producing Results

Why Your Job Search Isn’t Producing Results

Do you feel like you are stuck in a rut with your job search? If so, you may be one of the 25% of Americans who believe there are no suitable employment opportunities. If you are sitting there scratching your head and wondering why your job search isn’t producing results, it may be time to rethink your strategy. Here are four reasons why your search is not generating the results you are working hard to achieve.

Your job search is too vague

Is your job search broad enough? Many job seekers make the mistake of looking for a similar role with a different company in the same industry. In the post-pandemic labor market, this strategy is not as effective as it once was. Sure, it’s easy and comfortable to transition to a very similar role with a new company. However, some industries are performing better than others in today’s market. In other words, you may need to broaden your job search and tap into industries and employers that are thriving. Use your transferrable skills and apply them to a new position. If your job search isn’t producing results, it’s time to look at expanding your career pursuit.

You are not tailoring your resume

When was the last time you took a deep look at your resume? In today’s market, you cannot simply update your work experience and fire it off for every application. You must tailor your resume for every application. We get it; that sounds like a ton of work. But truthfully, it’s not as challenging as you may think. First, craft an updated resume with all of your latest experiences, achievements, certifications, and skills. Once you have a solid foundation, it’s pretty easy to tailor your resume.

Carefully review the job description and note the most important qualifications or skill sets the employer is looking for. Once you have identified the crucial qualifications, you want to reflect them in your resume. Tweak how you phrase your responsibilities and other details to beat the resume bots (aka an ATS) and land on a hiring manager’s desk. If you aren’t investing in the time to tailor your resume, you likely won’t yield the results you want.

Your networking isn’t effective

If your job search results are a little lackluster, it’s time to kick your networking into high gear. With the lack of in-person networking events, it’s time to turn to LinkedIn and other social media platforms to build your professional network. First of all, head to LinkedIn and let recruiters know you are open to new opportunities. (Work smarter, not harder!) Next, start building connections with those in your desired companies. Connect with people at your targeted companies on LinkedIn by sending them a personalized connection request. Briefly introduce yourself and explain why you wish to connect with them. They are more likely to accept your invitation if you send them a personal message introducing yourself.

You are not tapping into the hidden job market

The hidden job market is essentially all of the jobs that employers are not advertising online. In fact, only 40% of jobs are estimated to be advertised online. You can tap into the other 60% by networking or partnering with a professional recruiting firm, like JSG. Employers often give recruiters exclusive job orders, and thus, you won’t find these jobs on the employer’s website or anywhere else. If you are tired of your job search not producing results, let’s work together. We have hundreds of exciting opportunities across North America. If you are ready to take the next step in your career path, explore our jobs or reach out to us today.