Here at JSG, we employ many in the fabrication industry. Let’s celebrate our talented workers with some interesting facts about metal fabrication!
- Fabrication can be dated back to as early as 4000 B.C. Archeologists see evidence of the process used to shape gold and other metal jewelry. Source: MetroSteel.com
- According to EVSmetal.com, metal fabrication can help save the trees! They assert that the metal framing for a home can be built with the recycled metal of 4 cars. If the same house were constructed with wood, it would require 40 trees to be cut down!
- More than 50% of products used daily were created with some form of fabrication. This includes cars, cell phones, and things as simple as your fork and knife! Source: ManyFabrication.com
- Earth’s atmosphere is the only barrier keeping two metals from automatically bonding! If we were in a vacuum, any two pieces of metal that touched would automatically bond. On Earth, a minute layer of oxidized material is the only thing keeping two touching metals from becoming one! Source: TWS.edu
- The deepest wet weld ever performed underwater was at a depth of 2000ft. This weld was performed by the U.S. Navy. The deepest dry weld was performed at a depth of 1075ft. Source: EVSmetal.com
Check out this previous article for some cool facts about mining!